Vrindavan, 2017.09.12 (VT): The Brahma Kund Sanjhi Mela came to a close on the evening of September 10th. This unique yearly festival brings together Sanjhi art specialists from all over Braj Mandal.
Over the past four days, Brahma Kund has become the main stage to showcase the arts of Braj. Artists displayed various kinds of sanjhi designs, including those made from colored powders created with stencils, as well as various flower and cow dung designs. Even the surface of the kund itsef became a canvas for their art
Some of the artists whose creations were showcased at the event include:
* Shri Sumit Goswami (Shri Radharaman Temple, Vrindavan) – Sanjhi on the surface of water
* Shri Sanjay Soni (Mathura) – Flower Sanjhi on the surface of Brahma Kund
* Shri Rasikvallabh Nagarch (Shri Priya Vallabh Temple, Chhipi Gali, Vrindavan) – Sanjhi on a solid surface with powder and flowers
* Shri Vishwajeet Das (Shri Radharaman Temple, Vrindavan) – Sanjhi Under Water
In addition, a Raas lila troupe perfomed Sanjhi Lila, adding their own magic to the divine atmosphere of the festival. Classical musicians and folks singers presented songs on the subject of Sanjhi, and scholars read Sanjhi-themes poetry and discussed Sanjhi in literature.
Children from local schools competed in a Sanjhi-making competition, and village women prepared cowdung-based Sanjhi in the rural style. The children of Sandipani Muni School also contributed their talents with their performances of classical and folk dance.
On the closing day of the festival the Director of The Braj Foundation Mr. Vineet Narayan and the champion of Braj culture Mr. Mohan Swaroop Bhatia felicitated all the artists by presenting them with certificates of appreciation.
Although the Brahma Kund Sanjhi Mela is over, the Sanjhi festival continues in the Vrindavan temples until the end of Pitr Paksh.
Latest posts by VT Staff (see all)
- “Krishna The Enigma”: New solo art exhibit by Ashok Hazra - April 14, 2018
- Married lady assaulted and raped in Vrindavan-based ashram - April 13, 2018
- Hema Malini seeks approval for creating parkland reserves in Braj - March 29, 2018