Govardhan, 2017.08.23 (VT): The National Green Tribunal (NGT) will send a team to Govardhan the first week of September to inspect ongoing development work. In a hearing on Monday the NGT encouraged the work to be sped up and set the next hearing for September 19th.
The development work will be analysed according to seventeen specific guideliness decided by the NGT in 2015. Amongst these:
- All traffic on the parikrama marg should be stopped completely
- An alternate ring road is to be built, all homes must be connected to an STP via an official sewage system
- A solid waste management system must be put into place;
- Parking areas should be established within 200 meters of the parikrama marg, and
- The entire parikrama marg must be preserved as a no-construction zone.
Previously, the State Government had set the date of completion for the project for the end of 2018.
Upon hearing the list of points, Govardhan resident Lal Singh says with a twinkle in his eye, “Well, let me tell you: sewage still goes in the road and the fields, traffic still runs on parikrama marg all the time, except on big festivals, and nobody is coming around to pick up our garbage! I wonder what these government folks will have to say about it.”
“At least they have started making the ring road,” he added.
Latest posts by VT Staff (see all)
- Municipal Corporation offers receive training in inspection and report writing - January 19, 2018
- Yogi Government Plans two day stay in Braj during Holi - January 19, 2018
- Vasant Panchami marks the beginning of Holi in Braj - January 19, 2018